CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sears CED player issue / Need help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitskaboodle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Sears CED player issue / Need help! Reply with quote

Hi all, I haven't been here in a while. I took a Betamax detour but that's a long story. For now, I pulled out my Sears CED player from the garage and decided to have a second go at it. It's got a problem I can't figure out. Before we go on, I should point out I have already sent the cartridge to Cedatum, I have replaced both belts and it still has this issue:
When you push in the disk/caddy, the machine will turn on, the disk will lower onto the platter, it will begin spinning, then the tonearm will begin to move to the beginning of the disk, pause for about two seconds, then it will return all the way back and the counter then flashes 00. Sad
I had heard that if the disk/record does not sense the cartridge needle signal, it will go back to 00.
QUESTION: When the machine plays correctly, can you actually SEE the needle going down on to the disk?? I put a flashlight down there and I can't see the needle going down even the slightest. I don't see any kind of contact between the disk and the needle. Is this a known problem with the Hitachi/Sears players? Any insight? Thanks, Kit
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Sears player that did the same thing. The arm drive would move across the disc and then return to its rest position and the digital display would flash 00. I think that the turntable does not raise enough so that the stylus tip can contact the disc. The player I had I could get it to play only 1 try in maybe 30. Not very reliable. I gave the player to a CED hobbyist in North Dakota as he only needed its main circuit board,

I think that the turntable may have settled a tiny amount causing the problem. I do not know how to fix it. Maybe, someone else could help you. I have another Sears player that I bought in 1983 and it works like new. However, it has not been subjected to shipping or handling over the last 35 years.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: