CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sarnoff Collection at TCNJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TCNJSarnoff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Sarnoff Collection at TCNJ Reply with quote

Dear fellow CED aficionados,

I am pleased to announce that next month The College of New Jersey (TCNJ) will be opening a new exhibition on RCA and its many contributions to the history of electronics.

"Innovations That Changed The World: An Introduction to the Sarnoff Collection" draws upon the more than 6,000 objects previously housed at the David Sarnoff Library in Princeton, NJ. Highlights include the first-ever color television picture tube, America's first commercially available electron microscope, and early examples of thin-film transistors, LCDs, and computer core memories. There is also a section dedicated to the SelectaVision VideoDisc system, RCA's last great consumer electronics project.

I am writing this post to invite you all to Ewing, NJ (outside of Trenton) for the exhibit's grand opening on October 2nd. Further information about this event, as well as an online collections database, can be found on our website: http://tcnj.edu/sarnoff. Also, please feel free to follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TCNJSarnoff) and Twitter (@TCNJSarnoff). Your support for our efforts to preserve the history of electronics is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Ben Gross
(Curator and consulting scholar, The Sarnoff Collection at TCNJ)
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that would be a great thing to see.

Thanks much, Ben, for calling the Selectavision system what it truly was, a great system. Many great achievements do not grab the commercial world by storm, but live on through the marvelous scientific and technical advancements required to create such.

I would dare to say that, if a videotape, laserdisc, CED videodisc and DVD were all put on a spacecraft in a sealed climate and with players that could resist degradation, and retrieved ages later in another solar system, the LD would arrive with laser-rot (the 2 glued discs separating), the videotape ruined by electomagnetism, the DVD unreadable due to factory defects, but the CED disc would be just fine after a reconditioning pre-play.

I found access to the Sarnoff Collection website here:

https://davidsarnoff.pages.tcnj.edu/
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, there is a special disk in one of our interplanetary probes that has left the solar system with a message from Earth circa the Nixon administration (Voyager?) and also the inspiration for the plotline of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (remember V'ger will convert the carbon units)?

Dude111

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ben!

Good luck with your exhibit Smile
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, i wonder what kind of stuff mr. sarnoff has in his collection! now thats a collection id like to pick!
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some really cool stuff, but Mr. Sarnoff passed on in 1971 after shaping radio and television for the 20th century...

https://www.google.com/search?q=david+sarnoff&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Probably some really cool stuff, but Mr. Sarnoff passed on in 1971 after shaping radio and television for the 20th century...

https://www.google.com/search?q=david+sarnoff&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

yes, i think i read he died, in the book "The business of research, RCA and the video disc"
TCNJSarnoff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, everyone!

In answer to your questions:

1.) As per the CEDMagic.com FAQ, the Voyager record was not a CED, but rather "gold-plated Audio LP mothers made of copper, which normally would be used to make stamping molds for vinyl LP's." Still, that won't stop me from calling attention to the distinction the next time I watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture on my SKT-400.

2.) Although David Sarnoff was the creator and namesake of the collection, it has continued to grow and evolve following his death in 1971. Today it remains dedicated to collecting and preserving the history of RCA from its formation in 1919 until its sale in 1986. We also have several artifacts related to research conducted at the former site of RCA Laboratories from 1986 up to the Sarnoff Library's closure in 2009.

3.) Margaret Graham's book on the VideoDisc is an excellent case study of corporate innovation, and one that I have consulted thoroughly in connection with this exhibition. I have also been fortunate to build upon its contents through conversations with several former RCA engineers who still live in the greater Princeton area. (If you come to the grand opening, you might even get to meet some of them!)

All the best,
-Ben
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great but it's not happening on a Schwinn... Sad
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCNJSarnoff wrote:
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, everyone!

In answer to your questions:

1.) As per the CEDMagic.com FAQ, the Voyager record was not a CED, but rather "gold-plated Audio LP mothers made of copper, which normally would be used to make stamping molds for vinyl LP's." Still, that won't stop me from calling attention to the distinction the next time I watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture on my SKT-400.

2.) Although David Sarnoff was the creator and namesake of the collection, it has continued to grow and evolve following his death in 1971. Today it remains dedicated to collecting and preserving the history of RCA from its formation in 1919 until its sale in 1986. We also have several artifacts related to research conducted at the former site of RCA Laboratories from 1986 up to the Sarnoff Library's closure in 2009.

3.) Margaret Graham's book on the VideoDisc is an excellent case study of corporate innovation, and one that I have consulted thoroughly in connection with this exhibition. I have also been fortunate to build upon its contents through conversations with several former RCA engineers who still live in the greater Princeton area. (If you come to the grand opening, you might even get to meet some of them!)

All the best,
-Ben

are there any video discs in the collection? like test discs or anything?
TCNJSarnoff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are indeed VideoDiscs in the collection. In addition to a variety of mainstream titles, we also have an Aloha Conference disc and a copy of Memories of Videodisc: the final CED ever produced.

(FYI, the latter is viewable in its entirety on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIT7sStctbA&list=PLYGuWwHNhjzNG4TdBL__612wxMNTbrtPJ )

All the best,
-Ben
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched it many times there. Helps me to remember the wonderful 80s when I was a teenager growing into adulthood. You feel a kinship with folks like that because you knew folks like that every day.

It wasn't any better than now but it was a lot quieter.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have " a walk through the universe? " in there as well?
TCNJSarnoff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, no.
Eventually, I plan to compile a list of our VideoDisc holdings and post it online. Once that happens, I will of course post a message on this forum.

All the best,
-Ben
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCNJSarnoff wrote:
Sadly, no.
Eventually, I plan to compile a list of our VideoDisc holdings and post it online. Once that happens, I will of course post a message on this forum.

All the best,
-Ben

thanks! actually my girlfriend and i are planning to take a trip down and see the collection, im not for sure yet, but i pretty sure we can make it (:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: