CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another CED Player Project...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Another CED Player Project... Reply with quote

I came across an SGT 250 that was pretty well wrecked. It had been sitting in a place where the sun beat on it, and the case looked like somebody torched it, all warped. Also the function motor was shot, the power switch broken, and other myriad mechanical problems, but the circuitry tests good.

So, since I promised Harry I would make no more stereo Zenith players, as seen here:

http://www.cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2081

In this case, I'm thinking to transform an SFT 100 into a stereo player, the model with the Nipper on the case. Anybody interested in owning a stereo SFT 100? It will be a "one of a kind" because, once done, I won't do any more.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an sft 100 thats broken and it has an sgt 100 shell, i have the service literature to fix it and stuff, but do you think this is a good opportunity to mod this player as well? i love putting two things together to make one thing work, but this player has some other sort of problem i haven't figured out yet...

what you are trying to do is possible but certainly wasnt intended since you'll have to put a light switch on it, or make the sft100 an auto loader and have to make the buttons work... either way i support your decision to do something fancy, because i think stuff like that is awesome!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, without going into great detail about it, I will be using just enough of the 250 to make the 100 a stereo player. It will keep the load assembly of the 100 since the 250 load motor is shot.

However, I would be interested in a modification like what you're saying, if I had a 250 with a working load motor to use. I'd use a rocking electric toggle switch that would fit into the opening where the manual toggle fits. But to do that would reqire a good 250, or at least one with a broken case, or broken power switch.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Well, without going into great detail about it, I will be using just enough of the 250 to make the 100 a stereo player. It will keep the load assembly of the 100 since the 250 load motor is shot.

However, I would be interested in a modification like what you're saying, if I had a 250 with a working load motor to use. I'd use a rocking electric toggle switch that would fit into the opening where the manual toggle fits. But to do that would reqire a good 250, or at least one with a broken case, or broken power switch.

this is dangerous. my specialty is taking 2 broken things and making it one working piece... if i had a broken stereo g200 chassis id try something fun
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong but I thought you could buy some add on circuit board that would make the SFT or SGT 100 models a stereo unit. You could add the RCA jacks in the back of the player. Maybe it was CEDatum that offered this but not sure.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's something that they had planned, but not yet done as far as I know. It was a stereo synthesiser add on from what I had read about it.

BlindFury has been converting the mono RF output players to include A/V outputs by tapping into the A/V circuits, but they are still mono.

The Zenith was converted by using the whole circuitry from the damaged stereo player, as this one will be.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:

Perhaps you'll hve enough Frahnkenshteening materials with my stuff, who knows.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it took the whole weekend, but here it is. An SFT 100 Stereo player (true stereo sound) that works great. Very happy with the way it turned out. Everything meshed together pretty well, once I had both players apart. Plus all dirt and grime removed and everything lubed, including turntable stem. It is really quiet. Plus the stylus arm will not hang up at minute 50 to 55.

It's amazing how RCA used the same basic framework for such different players. Good production planning in my opinion.

So here are the photos. Tomorrow I'll post some photos of it hooked up to the TV playing, but right now I'm going to watch that disc you see, Never Cry Wolf.

SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice moves man! i must be lazy as hell then, because i havent even tried to fix my player yet! ( i actually put my vjp-900 higher on my priority list) now i wana do something with this wrecked sft-100! maybe ill try to just get it to function, then repaint it and try to put a plexi top on it...
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, as I promised, here's photos of it playing.

First on the Sharp Aquos playing Deer Hunter:

Next, I hooked it up to the 27" RCA console in my office and played Johnny Dangerously. This is one of those stereo consoles RCA made in the 1990s, that looks vintage but has the various A/V inouts. They are great looking for the vintage CED player, don't you agree? I used to have a stereo 36" RCA upright console, but it died. It was great for watching CEDs however.

If anyone is interested in owning this one-of-a-kind player, send me an email using the email button below. I am polanning to sell it rather than keepit as I have plenty of players already. I promise to NOT make another one like this, just as with the Zenith stereo I made.

how to do a screenshot on a pc

image hosting 30 mb
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just watched johnny dangerously a few weeks ago, great comedy! love the CRT, id settle for one of those too is it came my way! hope this player finds the right home (:
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the RCA CRT was a $20 Thrift store find, made in mid to late 1990s, and A/V stereo inputs. It's nice because it's newer but looks vintage. There's dozens of these floor console TVs here for real cheap. They are no longer popular. I think the 27" is the biggest for a floor console, but I might be wrong on that. It's the biggest I ever saw.

The 36" upright console set I had was like this one:

It was actually a Proscan, high-end RCA brand. It lasted me 10 yrs before giving out. The CRTs are still the best for good-looking CED playback, in my opinion, although I am very pleased with the way the Sharp Aquos plays CEDs. There's something about the 4-color pixels that really gives them the old CRT quality.

I also hope the SFT 100 stereo goes to a good home.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SFT 100 stereo player, one of a kind, is available for sale to anyone interested. I received a partial settlement of the shipping damages, so I will sell it for only the excess costs I have put into it, which is not too much.

Send me an email using the email button below if you are interested in this "one of a kind" player, for I promise any purchaser that I will not create another one like it, just as I promised with the Zenith VP 2000 stereo player.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
The SFT 100 stereo player, one of a kind, is available for sale to anyone interested. I received a partial settlement of the shipping damages, so I will sell it for only the excess costs I have put into it, which is not too much.

Send me an email using the email button below if you are interested in this "one of a kind" player, for I promise any purchaser that I will not create another one like it, just as I promised with the Zenith VP 2000 stereo player.

what happened to it? i still haven't decided what i wana do with my sft 100 yet its got a compound problem i think...
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stereo Zenith player went to Harry.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Harry!

Now, your three chassis should arrive by mid-week next and since the assistant postmaster had to borrow my hand truck to get in back to the sorting room, do be careful, it's heavier than a second grader (69 pounds)! Shocked
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
The stereo Zenith player went to Harry.

i meant the sft-100, it was damaged somehow?

also, since it has the g-250 circuits in it, would it support the IR remote eye from the 250 if it was connected? im sure there is somewhere the eye could be hidden?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remote eye was damaged when I got the player so, sorry, no dice on that. Also, the toggle switch gets in the way.

The Stereo SFT 100 is okay and working great, looking for a home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: